Sunday 29 January 2012

Dominoes - Game Design and Production Blog 3 (INFR 2330)


Dominoes

Hello! Welcome back to my blog!
Today, I will be talking about the game dominoes, although seeming easy, can be complex, frustrating and fun.
___________________________________________________________________________________

A few years back, my family seemed bored during the summers...we had nothing to do, and so we would occasionally take trips with each other to random places around Canada, the states, or the Caribbean. My father is a pastor for a church which I've been going to for my entire life. The name of this church was the World Impact Centre (W.I.C). One year, a pastor from the Caribbean called my dad and told him about a youth encounter that happens every year in the Antigua. My dad and mother, now struck with new ideas and feelings of this camp, had sent me there on my own to enjoy it.

Enough with the backstory, now to get into detail !

While in the Caribbean, they play a lot of games in which we would think was weird, but when seeing it, its mesmerizing. I heard they play "dominoes". When I hear dominoes? I think of the way you used to play with them, just stacking them up and knocking them down right? In actuality, that’s a giant flaw with that statement. As said before I learned that its not the same way that they play dominoes.

 

Dominoes in the Caribbean is carried out in a different way. The rules of the game dominoes is like so:

Players: 4
Objective/ How to win: Have no more playable domino tiles in your hands

How to Lose: Not be the first to have no more playable domino tiles in your hands.

Explanation: With domino, the lower the tile number, the higher chance that you have of winning. For example, if someone has the 6/6 domino, and you had the 5/5, and that was the last tile in each players hands, the 5/5 wins. Usual players try and find a pattern with the tiles that they have, so they can lay it out correctly so that in 7 turns, no tiles are left in their hands.

Tricks: To make people lose faster, trap off their amount of high number tiles in their hand, so no matter what, they lose. For example, in a box of dominoes, there are 28 tiles, thus letting four people play. There are 7 cards of each number, 1-6. If each player had played a value of a "6" tile, except the last person, who had the 6/6 tile, and you blocked "6"'s off so that he could not attach his "6" to it, then he is stuck with the 6/6 which adds to 12, and gives more assurance to the player that he cannot win.

Turns: Everyone has 7 cards and have to match each domino side with a side of its suit. Like a 6/1 and a 6/6 must only have the 6's touching. So it looks like so:



There are many ways to go about trying to win this game. There are mental psyches that you could learn in order to know who has what tile, also by watching the way they place their tiles. For me, I play by counting all of the tiles, and then guessing who has the next one, and trap the higher numbered cards so that I would win. With dominoes, its very funny and comical. Though it can seem boring, it is fun too see as to who will win.

Another thing that we do to spice up the game is that, the loser has to drink water. By the 5th  or 9th game, almost every person except the consistent winner is crying. It is very comical I hope that anyone who reads this blog would be able to have as much fun as I did with dominoes.

Overall it’s a great game to play ! Everyone should try !
This is an example of how you shuffle the tiles. face down, with one hand going in a clockwise motion, and the other in a counter-clockwise motion.
(It's me in the picture!)


Kazekumaru -- Peacing Out!

Questions to consider:
  1. After reading through that, would YOU like to play dominoes?
  1. If you have any questions or comments, place them in the comment section...BELOW !

No comments:

Post a Comment