Sunday 4 November 2012

INFR 3330: Game Design Class

Hello! Welcome again to my blog!

As this class has continued, now in its second form --its gotten quite informing when it comes to understanding the concepts of games. For example, when with the group that I am in, they mainly just talked about what they wanted in the game, the type of art, the type of particles, programming, and what they want as their game...But truly? You have to think of so much more.

What do you want the player to think at certain times? How will you involve the player? How will you challenge them? How will you let them understand what they need to do?

Is it a mind-using kind of game? Like Portal?

Does it require precision? Like Call of Duty?

One needs to think of certain things while designing games.
________________________________________________

Often, or every few classes, our professor hands us either homework, or gives us in class assignments to make games. The in-class assignments are more to make concepts of games, to teach us what is truly important when it comes to the concept of games.

One day, we were asked to play a game where we flip tiles on top of each other to gain either points or achievements.. but the problem after that was, after te achievements were achieved...what else was there to do? The point of it was so that we realize that, and to begin making our own objectives, in which we did.
Later, he assigned homework comparing to that, and that, turned into our "Risk"-like board game.

What we had done is make a new rule-set, a new concept, and using the "Risk" board, we re-arranged the planet to make our new concept of a game.

We called it "History...what're you doing...History...STAHP!"

Later, we then had to make another game. 
However, This was different. 

This time, comparing it to a wedding game. 
The title?
"Will You Marry Me?"  -- NO. I'm not asking you to marry me. That's the actual name of the homework!

Our game's name, was the "Tunnel of Love"
For this game,  we were to instill nice memories, thoughts, feelings, leading up to the final question between two people, where the man asks the woman to marry him. This however, was a difficult thing to think about.

So, in the end, the idea, was to actually make ideas, thoughts about the past that the couple had, making the woman remember everything, leading up to that fateful day.

After quite a bit of modelling, and programming, the entire group was able to make a soft-hearted game, although, some things could have been increased for a more dramatic effect, I feel that it was touching.

Made me shed a tear. A manly tear....cuz I'm a man...

However, that wasn't the point of it. What I felt was the point of this game, was to make us think in certain ways, what exactly, would be efficient, in order to use, through gaming technology, which would allow us to propose? Although very confusing at first, the idea presented itself. 

For this, we used gaming elements used in class. For example, as I had stated before, how do you involve your player? We used interaction with the background to involve the player. We made a heart, or pieces of one, scattered, one piece in every room. To lead the character to it (how will the player know what to do?) We emitted music from it, giving a general idea that it would be an important item. After the player clicks on that piece of the heart, in the main corridor, it shows pieces of the heart on the end door (the proposal door).

Once continuing through the other rooms, after every two pieces of the heart, it is shown on the door what you have, and once you have all pieces, you click on the final door, and a wedding/proposal scene happens, where it shows her in a white dress, where you propose to her. 

_______________________________________________

As I think more and more about games, I start to find design flaws, and slightly get irked as to how they can easily be fixed.

My question to everyone is, what is one game you like, although it may have a design flaw? What is the design flaw? Would you fix it? How would you fix it?

I like many games. one that irritates me was Vindictus. I liked the game quite a lot, and I used to play it quite a bit in the past, however, because of the non-changing fighting style, repetitiveness, and lack of upgrades, I got bored quite quickly..apparently it had changed recently, and I have not seen the upgrade. However, those few things got irritating quite quickly, because also, one would always want their personal character to look different than others, and to have different skills, however, earlier, when I played, there were limited characters, and everyone had the same armour.. My question..is why have different characters, if not fully customizable armour to distinct yourself from others? I like personally creating different characters with different armour, aspects, strengths, etc. Even if not in some games, they at least have other factors which differentiate them from the rest. I would not change Vindictus, because in a long time, Nexon had ruined some games with their cash shop, and what items could be purchased...I wanted to see what they would do with the main game I fully accepted...Vindictus. 

I will try out the new additions to the game, and see where it takes me! I will reply to this post with the answer to what I have found from the new Vindictus! 

Kazekumaru -- Peacing Out!

See You next time Guys, answer the questions, and let me know about what you think/feel about certain games!

No comments:

Post a Comment