Sunday 26 February 2012

Game Design and Production Blog 6 - League of Legends: The Board Game? Card Game? (INFR 2330)


League of Legends: The Board Game ? Card Game?

Hello! Welcome to my blog!
Today, I will be talking about the game League of Legends. Although very complex, I would be trying to see if it could become a board game or not.

Recently, I have been playing the video game League of Legends (LoL) a lot. So much, that before the last GDP (Game Design and Production) class, I had only 40 wins, and to date, I now have 101 wins. This is a lot, because, each game could span from 20 minutes to as long as 70 minutes (the longest game that I have ever played). Also, from the last class, I had a win - lose ratio in which was 40 : 63 respectively, but now it is 101 : 100 . If you do all of the math with that, I had played 98 games since the last class… excluding games that I have faced against "bots" or AI (artificial intelligences) within the game.

LoL is a territorial game, in which involves teamwork. Your goal is to destroy the other teams towers, and to go into the enemies base and destroy their nexus. To do this, you must become powerful by fighting, gaining money, buying items, in which make you stronger, or harder to kill. As you become stronger, if you strategize well, you should be able to destroy the other teams towers (turrets). Each team has 10 towers. There are three lanes, top, middle and bottom, in which each have three turrets. In each teams base, they have two towers protecting the nexus.

The nexus within each base, generates minions for the team. There are two different colours of minions, blue and purple. There are normal minions, caster minions, and super minions. Super minions are only generated after a team destroys an inhibitor (each team has 3 inhibitors, one in each lane, but are located at the edge of the base, towards each lane. Below is a picture of the map.



If you have anymore questions, or want more insight into the game, go to the main website.


As I keep playing the game, I would always feel that I would want to see if it would be able to be made into a board game...however, as I thought about it, could it be turned into a board game? Or card game?

As I continue writing this blog, I shall see if I can create either a board game or card game.
 
If it was a board game, there would be many pieces, as to make for all the characters, and statistics would need to be kept…

WELL, I made up my mind...its going to be a card game.

This card game of LoL can only be played with even people up to 10 people (2, 4, 6, 8, 10). There would be a deck for each character. Each deck would consist of the character itself, and their skills. There would be a deck for health, and a deck for mana. As they level up, the characters are able to specifically pick up cards, depending on what bonuses they have or not.

Each character has a certain amount of health cards. As characters lose health, depending on how much each health card represents, it gets flipped face down, showing that they do not have that health anymore. Health cards cannot be discarded, because each character has a base amount of health, so unless they had an item that gave them health later, and then they sold it and got rid of it, they should always keep the health that they usually would have. For example, if I start with 50 health (5 cards, 10 health each), unless I got an item which gave me more health, and then I sold it, I should always keep those 5 cards.

Each character is only able to have 6 items. The item builds should be located within the rules. There will be a deck for each item, showing what items it needs before you get it so you buy all of them properly. Because there are many items, you would have many decks, and there would be multiple decks for each items, because, if everyone is able to get 6 items, what if they all got the same one? Six times per player? Then is would be 10x6 in which would be 60 of the same item.

There is mainly two flaws within this card game in which I would be wanting to create...not an easy battle system, and the minion battle system. The lanes, nexus, towers and all, could be easy, but as minions are sent out, killed, and more, it would take more time, and more production to think about.

This is all that I have for now, but I am really interested in actually creating it.

Thanks for reading my post!




Kazekumaru -- Peacing Out!

Questions to consider:

  1. From reading the above, would you want to play this game? Would you like to see it created? (it was just an interest of mine for a short time, but we'll see!)
  2. Did you like the structure for the game so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment